I Can’t Accept This

So I was in KL the other day and found out foreigners are populating the city. I don’t mind that much but when my local food is no longer operate by locals, things are getting kinda serious.

It’s so weird to have a foreigner cook local food. I don’t mind a local to cook foreign food in Malaysia but a foreigner to cook Malaysian food in Malaysia itself.

It’s like this weird feeling of having a guest to cook at my home.

I’m okay with having any Malaysian cooking Malaysian food in Malaysia (regardless which ethnics/race) tho.

• PolarBear
    July 31, 2013 - 5:50 pm | Permalink

same here, i won’t buy bangla made food, because tried before and end up having diarrhea.

• August 2, 2013 - 11:24 am | Permalink

oh my..probably that stall problem.
      I more to finding it weird to have foreigner cooking local food.
      not authentic adi.

• Nada
    July 31, 2013 - 6:21 pm | Permalink

Same as me.
    Indon may be okay but not Bangla. Never found a food stall with Bangla’s chef.
    By the way, the second panel is so cute…XD

• KaeWoei
    July 31, 2013 - 7:08 pm | Permalink

Yea lor… also happens in Penang.. Laksa, Pan Mee, Herbal Soup Mee, Nasi goreng are cooked by bangala or Indonesian.. 🙁

• August 1, 2013 - 1:42 am | Permalink

Soon all our food stalls will be outsourced…

• August 2, 2013 - 11:25 am | Permalink

yep. sooner or later.
      young generation nowadays not keen in operating them.
      and expensive also.

• August 1, 2013 - 4:39 am | Permalink

sooner we will become bangla country liao~ XD

• August 1, 2013 - 10:59 am | Permalink

luckily haven’t seen similar thing in kuching !!! O.o

• August 1, 2013 - 12:22 pm | Permalink

I’d rather eat if they cook their own authentic Bangladeshi food, instead of our food. And Hokkien mee, of all things?? I am confused

• August 2, 2013 - 11:27 am | Permalink

yep yep. If they cook their own food then okay.
      but our food very very very weird lor.

• August 1, 2013 - 3:17 pm | Permalink

Can’t help but wondered is this couple with you Estee and Rock Kee? lol

• Snoopy
    August 1, 2013 - 9:53 pm | Permalink

Boss. It looks like the shit just got worse over there in Malaysia.

Thought Singapore lagi worse. Mainland China, Filipinos doing local food. etc

• August 1, 2013 - 10:03 pm | Permalink

I find it weird too… but actually in makes sense when you think about it. Local hawkers are employing foreign workers, so in the end these workers will know how to make this local food! Some might even know how to make it better than you… 😛

I think I would buy the food if it is really good… but I would still prefer Malaysian food “secrets” be kept amongst Malaysians. Hehe…

• August 2, 2013 - 8:18 am | Permalink

Same here, but rarely local Malaysians wants to work in F&B line when you are at KL 😐

• August 2, 2013 - 11:33 am | Permalink

yep. nowadays new generation don’t wanna do those stalls or F&B. coz long hours ma.

• August 5, 2013 - 2:16 pm | Permalink

its kinda ok if they sell food at mamak stall, but not when they sell lemang or rendang. that will be awkward.

• August 6, 2013 - 9:33 am | Permalink

so weird right
      imagine they bakar the lemang at the side of the stall then sound best lemang, original! hahah XD

• Vera Soo
    August 5, 2013 - 8:13 pm | Permalink

I can accept. Of course everyone wants the real deal – authentic style, kampung price thrown in if possible 😀

It’s easy to complain but if you’re working & living in those cities where multiracial REALLY coexist, live, eat & survive together. I’ve seen many cannot adapt – must drive further away to get their food or pay to eat in expensive restaurant or turn to takeaways from home or elsewhere. There are times in life where, quality of food is not even in the mind. Cukup makan, cukup murah, kasi kenyang dah puas.

Think about it, if Chinese can adapt cook nasi lemak, rendang, make teh tarik (even make new version: 3 layer tea), kuih muih & speak Bahasa.. turned frm White/Yellow to Brown open Halal biz. & adapt into the society why not foreigners regardless of their skin colour?

Actually a lot of F&B outlets, the boss/chef are locals who pre-cooked/prepared the main ingredients, stew, sauce & food. They then hire workers to just reheat, mix and cook the overall food. Sometimes in the process, the workers didn’t follow all the steps, miscommunication or just main taruh only.

Most locals nowadays don’t want to work in factory, wash plate, F&B places, no weekend, 10-12hours work… they all prefer work in air cond. environment, PR, sales, marketing, per hour pay & benefits higher.

Don’t forget the living cost, maintenance of shop & resources are way higher in KL than elsewhere. Who else to replace except foreigners?

Our Government didn’t impose any min.wage, employee benefits & etc. protection & security act to employers who breached those acts, unlike in Singapore, Aus & US.

• August 6, 2013 - 9:58 am | Permalink

hahaha You got it wrong, I don’t mind having Malaysian cooking Malaysian food in Malaysia (regardless which ethnics/race). XD

Then again, i agree with you on the government part and also the part locals nowadays less interested in F&B due to the wages and environment etc.

• August 6, 2013 - 11:11 am | Permalink

I cannot accept lor but in Sabah got foreigners also but not up to cooking malaysian food.

• celine
    August 6, 2013 - 1:30 pm | Permalink

same for SG. but the SG gov is trying to lure the youngster back to the trade, or hawker food will go endangered. :/

some well known hawker stores alr closed down because the owner is retiring and the children don’t want to continue the business.

if only SG could do smthg like Japan.. family owned business are always passed down to children, idk how they do it.

• August 11, 2013 - 11:30 am | Permalink

same here, young gen don’t wanna pick up old businesses.
      Sadly all good food gonna extinct.

I think it do with culture and education.