Driving in Penang

The other day I was in Penang and my friend came and fetch me from the airport..

While we were on our way to the office…

I had a culture shock. Back in my place, it’s a norm to give ways to each other.

The most shocking part is the expression on my friends. We were chit chatting happily and they turned into killing mode instantly. I can feel so much hatred, anger and annoyed. :| Scaryy…

Then, I found out that it is dangerous to give way in Penang as the drivers behind the car will not give you back your road. :|

Thank God, I don’t drive in Penang else I might stranded there for the whole day.

I noticed every places have their own driving pattern. In Kuching, the biggest problem is parking. People do two slots parking, three slots parking, pedestrian walkway parking and even divider parking. :|

Do you noticed a pattern of driving in your city?

Apology if the comic is not entertaining for today. I was in a rush (having too much work in hand T^T) so didn’t manage to brainstorm and draft my story before draw.

————————————–

Announcement: Note 2 cases pre-order coming soon. :) And my anniversary coming soon too, there will be good news for some. ^^

• April 23, 2013 - 9:57 pm | Permalink

LOL. Here driving also frustrating. They will never obey the roundabout law.. just go in like it’s a straight road and force the drivers inside the roundabout to give way.. ==

reply:
    LOL XD

• April 23, 2013 - 9:58 pm | Permalink

Got so jialat until like this meh?! Haha.. I didnt realise that also..

Got lor! no one give anyone ways and honk with killing aura XD

• zephy
      April 25, 2013 - 1:21 pm | Permalink

try to turn on your signal, the gap will suddenly dissappear

ahahahah XD

• KaeWoei
    April 23, 2013 - 10:04 pm | Permalink

hahaha.. normal la this is penang ppl driving style, cz we benci ppl cut lane while we dy queued so long waiting traffic light to turn green. :p

Tapi sometimes not cut lane but the road memang diverge into that lane.

• zephy
      April 25, 2013 - 1:22 pm | Permalink

sometimes not cut line, but normal coming out of junction also wont’ give way….the mindset too kiasu….if cutline, yes i agree…i also won’t give way :D

cutline sure won’t give but normal coming out of junction wor. i really speechless

• April 23, 2013 - 10:09 pm | Permalink

Hmmm, I drove in Penang for three years & I don’t think it is that scary or maybe I turned into one of them as well. XD

you have turned into one of them!!! hahaha

• April 23, 2013 - 10:19 pm | Permalink

Yah it’s true bcoz if u give way to one car, all vehicles behind also follow, then u become the one who need to beg for given way.

Anyway I usually slow down if found a car is coming out, scare knock into it. You’ll learn when to give way and when not if u drive in penang for longer time, though.

so far i see no one give way XD all like force their way in

• zephy
      April 25, 2013 - 1:24 pm | Permalink

typical kiasu…cause ppl don’t know how to “give way” and “take turns”. if one go, they want to all go…hai that’s why so jam….1 lane can become 3 lanes

hahaha island mentality?

• April 23, 2013 - 10:43 pm | Permalink

Hehehe u forgot this 1… whn yellow light suppose to b ready to stop but some of us here in kch is ready to go or they even speed up to drive pass before it turns red.. lol

haha this 1 all over malaysia XD

• April 24, 2013 - 12:25 am | Permalink

Same thing happen if you drive in KL..haha..It could be worse :p

there is no signal, and turn ahaha

• Wendy S
    April 24, 2013 - 8:03 am | Permalink

And back in Sarawak we don’t honk, I don’t know if my dad’s car’s honk is still functioning. Haha.. Driving in peninsular, I don’t give way one cuz have to adapt to the environment :P

Yealo do what romans do in Rome XD

• Nada
    April 24, 2013 - 9:03 am | Permalink

Oh my…really?
    Never thought of that when I went to Penang before.
    Sounds scary…

Last time they used to honk a lot.
    Nowadays lesser tho then i noticed this

• April 24, 2013 - 9:35 am | Permalink

kuching ppl won’t park 100% inside the parking slot! it’s so annoying! it’s like kiddo colouring and they literally don’t want to colour inside the box! i had to keep asking my mom to re-park her car properly whenever i go back to kch. klang valley pulak ppl dun use signals… friggin’ annoying as well! dunno where dafuq they want to turn to or go to… it’s like they expect us to ‘predict’ where they’re going! argh!!!

Exactly!! hahaha they all failed parking 1.
    i think they don’t know such signal thingy exist in cars ahahha

• Hong Aun
    April 24, 2013 - 2:47 pm | Permalink

hahaha..welcome to penang…another lesson is…when u want to change lane in Penang, DO NOT SIGNAL. After you cut i halfway thru the lane….then only signal…

If you are signal earlier, they cars behind will know you are not from penang, and then will take advantage to bully u…

Don’t hesitate to use your horn… :P

hahahahah thanks sifu!!

• shosmilly
    April 24, 2013 - 8:38 pm | Permalink

SOMETIMES i did that too..opppssssss.!

Hor!!!! jahat you

• April 25, 2013 - 1:01 am | Permalink

biasa la… in penang really like that one…even some double park the slot also…the longer you stay in penang the more pro you’ll be…i also have cultural shock during my uni time at kampar, perak…

oh why?
    they drive differently too?

• April 29, 2013 - 9:18 pm | Permalink

yup…to shocked…moo moo is the priority not the vehicles and even with car key inside the car and the car door is open and you are away for 10-20 minutes you’ll still can see your car…

• Irvine
    April 25, 2013 - 10:44 am | Permalink

hahaha, now you only experience the most terrible road in penang…lucky you survived still

hahaha i hv Penang friend else i already dead

• Jack
    April 25, 2013 - 2:22 pm | Permalink

Not only in Penang… KL also the same…

KL road bigger, most of the time on highway so didn’t noticed

• Minow
    April 26, 2013 - 8:17 am | Permalink

Also “why u no realize your headlights are high?”

ya that 1 very irritating!
    sometimes i highlight them back to signal them but they like not happy :| swt..

• April 26, 2013 - 8:25 pm | Permalink

Haha, the dog’s eyes are so funny…from normal to surprised to DEVIL!!!

Sometimes I also see drivers who won’t give way in Penang (like the others said…once you turn on your signal, they will zoom up and block you) but some are still okay la. Maybe half-half… (but that’s already too much. Must cut down further. Haha…)

More than half.. i feel. hahahaha

• April 28, 2013 - 11:58 pm | Permalink

penang drivers are the worst!! no point signaling to cut lane… the other car will just suddenly speed up and not let u in…. horrible penang drivers…. drove there for a year… stress gilerrrrr… somemore the lanes in penang is already small… everyone driving big cars @.@
    too scary n stressful to drive in penang… kl drivers are much better in comparison…. at least many will give way…

hahaha.. that’s why i was so shock too

• April 29, 2013 - 11:37 am | Permalink

yala. that’s what i told my family when they drove up north last year!

don’t give way, or you’ll kena banged!

scary lar drive there

• May 25, 2013 - 1:04 am | Permalink

Lol. Penang Island traffic is much terrible than in KL. Not only it is almost always jammed, the road are confusing and there are so many small lanes. Whenever we go for the heart of the Island, I always avoid driving if I can.. haha

hahaha small island so not much space for road expansion