Miao at the Thai Night Market

The following incident happened during my trip in Chiang Mai.

Seriously, I did not know what she answered. I had been practicing the question so much that I actually went and copied their tone and sounded pretty much like a Thai.  >.<  And that only sentence only, I am not even familiar with the numbers in Thai XD. =.=

Next time, I’m gonna do this instead. XD

• October 29, 2012 - 9:59 am | Permalink

so how much is it!!! this is killing me!!! I need to know!!! hahaha

I also not sure :/

• October 30, 2012 - 8:40 pm | Permalink

the person said i give you 360 baht XD

You speak thai?

• Erin
    October 29, 2012 - 10:01 am | Permalink

LOL!!!.. good idea.. hahahaha… hahahhahaha.. ROFL….
    Miao buying teddy… hahaha

hahahaha nice idea kan? XD

• October 29, 2012 - 10:25 am | Permalink

my mom tried this when she was in Japan. HAHAHAHA
    “Ikura desuka?”
    Then when the salesgirl replied her, she had the most blank look in the world. Stoned for 10 seconds then she said “expensive!! Cheaper cheaper!!” :D

hahahah must be translating the numbers XD

• October 29, 2012 - 10:37 am | Permalink

really make my day la. :D HAHAHA!

Glad it did :D

• October 29, 2012 - 10:59 am | Permalink

Nowadays people bring along their calculator to ease price negotiation ;p You may try that bro

Then i will looked like those Falang.

• Nada
    October 29, 2012 - 11:14 am | Permalink

Aside from memorizing the questions, need to know their currency too.
    Miao proposed your own prized like a boss.

uh hum. the numbers are important.

• October 29, 2012 - 2:46 pm | Permalink

hahaa… you are so cute! but its true! i experience the same thing as well.

haha a reminder to us that next time must learn the possible replies XD

• October 29, 2012 - 4:27 pm | Permalink

nest time… bring a calculator… LoL

but i will looked like a foreigner :(

• October 29, 2012 - 5:48 pm | Permalink

Next time need to bring piece of paper with numbers listing on it.. When buying just let the stall keeper circle on the number.. Haha!

hahaha but i wanna pretend local and get local price XD

• October 29, 2012 - 9:13 pm | Permalink

What a cute teddy bear Miao is buying…

Actually, that is why I never bother to learn phrases like “how much is this” when I go to foreign countries. I know I won’t understand the reply…

Haha, and what if you offer a price that is actually too high? :P

it’s okay. let them earn as long as you okay with the price :D

• DT
    October 29, 2012 - 11:05 pm | Permalink

hmm.. sounds like sam roi hok sib… if not mistaken is 360 baht… hehe.. u remind me of my trip where i learn thai to tell the taxi driver to go wat phra keaw and “chai meter” which means to use meter so that he won’t fleece us on the charges. mana tau i sounded so convincing tat once into the taxi he started to talking nonstop in thai and i could only stare stupidly and shake my head… hehe..

wahahahaha hahaha i totally understand your feeling. damn funny lor like that. XD

• October 30, 2012 - 9:32 am | Permalink

aahahaha.. XDD
    my uncle told us that as well.. like asking for lower price things like that, he even teach us how to say it but yeah.. who can remember.. e.e … ( i can’t )

but then.. when my brother go to Thailand he didn’t even use it since it was almost the same price in Malaysia so he just let it be.. XDD

Their price actually very reasonable, no need discount also can one. ^^”

• October 30, 2012 - 12:18 pm | Permalink

Lol. You weren’t expecting the storekeeper to reply in Thai ka?

I didn’t thought of that part. hahahahah XD
    the replying me.

• October 30, 2012 - 8:37 pm | Permalink

Should test it out on my boss. he’s through through pro-thai. lol

Woahh @@ awesome!

• Slayergurl
    October 30, 2012 - 9:34 pm | Permalink

Hahah!! Same as what happened to my fren! We went to Bangkok and everytime she asked ‘tao rai?’, the shopkeeper will answer in Thai. We will be thinking ‘umm…..so how much is it?!’ We Malaysians/ Singaporeans actually look like Thai if we don’t speak! ;)

Yealo XD we do looks quite alike. hahaha XD

• October 31, 2012 - 2:30 pm | Permalink

Hahaha.. i hv the same experience too.. pandai2 ask for the price of the item and end up i can’t understand how much is the price. and i was lucky i was in the city near the border and some of them still can speak malay or even hokkien (some of them)

Oh! Hatyai eh?

• kay-y
    November 1, 2012 - 9:43 pm | Permalink

LOL i experienced it too!
    the best way? bring a calculator with you =pp

but that makes you less local :(

• November 1, 2012 - 11:57 pm | Permalink

I use the phone and calculator when bargaining overseas. Type the numbers in and speak using numbers and facial expressions. lol

then sure get foreign price lor

• August 10, 2014 - 11:07 am | Permalink